Rand Paul wants to ban George Stephanopoulos from moderating 2016 debates
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
After ABC News chief anchor and chief political correspondent George Stephanopoulos announced that he had donated money to the Clinton Foundation, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) suggested that Stephanopoulos shouldn't moderate any 2016 presidential debates.
"It's impossible to divorce yourself from that, even if you try," Paul told The New York Times. "I just think it's really, really hard, because he's been there, so close to them, that there would be a conflict of interest if he tried to be a moderator of any sort."
Stephanopoulos, who was one of Bill Clinton's closest advisors during his first term as president, issued an apology on Thursday for not disclosing his donations while reporting on the foundation, and ABC News expressed its support for him in a separate statement. But Paul isn't the only one who still has a bone to pick with the anchor: On Thursday, Sen. Mike Lee's (R-Utah) communications director tweeted that he won't allow Lee to be interviewed on ABC until Stephanopoulos distances himself from 2016 coverage. Clinton Cash author Peter Schweizer also called Stephanopoulos' omission "a massive breach of ethical standards."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Update, 2:35 p.m.: Stephanopoulos told Politico on Thursday that he "probably shouldn't have" donated money to the Clinton Foundation and clarified that he donated $75,000 to the foundation, not $50,000, as Politico had previously reported. Stephanopoulos also said he won't moderate ABC's GOP primary debate in February.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Meghan DeMaria is a staff writer at TheWeek.com. She has previously worked for USA Today and Marie Claire.
-
5 blacked out cartoons about the Epstein file redactionsCartoons Artists take on hidden identities, a censored presidential seal, and more
-
How Democrats are turning DOJ lemons into partisan lemonadeTODAY’S BIG QUESTION As the Trump administration continues to try — and fail — at indicting its political enemies, Democratic lawmakers have begun seizing the moment for themselves
-
ICE’s new targets post-Minnesota retreatIn the Spotlight Several cities are reportedly on ICE’s list for immigration crackdowns
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
