Stormy Daniels wants to return $130,000 to end her silence on Trump
Adult film star Stormy Daniels, who says President Trump's lawyer paid her $130,000 in 2016 to stay quiet about an alleged affair with Trump, is offering to return the money so that she can speak freely about the president.
NBC News reported Monday that the actress, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, wants to release more information about the alleged relationship, which she says began in 2006 and lasted for several months. By returning the money, she wants clearance to release text messages, photos, and videos that would provide evidence of the affair. Trump has steadfastly denied the tryst.
Daniels' attorney, Michael Avenatti, sent a letter to Trump's longtime personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, offering to return the money by Friday, reports NBC News. In exchange Daniels seeks the right to "speak openly and freely about her prior relationship with the president" without fear of retribution.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Avenatti told NBC News that Americans should be allowed to judge for themselves who is telling the truth between Daniels and Trump. Daniels filed a lawsuit last week that claimed the nondisclosure deal she struck with the president is invalid because Trump himself never signed the agreement. Trump says he had no knowledge of the transaction between Cohen and Daniels.
The letter submitted to Trump's team Monday says that the offer of reimbursement is open until noon Tuesday. The letter also asks that Cohen not make any effort to block the broadcast of a 60 Minutes interview that Daniels taped last week, reports The New York Times. Avenatti says the offer is made in good faith and is not meant as a publicity stunt.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country



