Anthony Weiner's loss may, oddly enough, be a win for Alec Baldwin. Weiner was long expected to run for New York City mayor in 2013, but, after his sexting scandal, he almost certainly won't, and the 30 Rock star is considering stepping up, according to The Daily. The compulsively liberal actor, who has long toyed with political ambitions, is only fueling the gossip flames. A Baldwin spokesman said, "I wouldn't rule it out," while Baldwin himself coyly tweeted, "It's a long way till November of 2013." Naturally, the prospect of a Mayor Baldwin has left commentators feeling witty. Here, a sampling of the mockery:
"Sorry, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer... and other officials presumed to be thinking about running for mayor in 2013," says Dan Amira at New York. "You are mere humble civil servants ripe for the squashing by someone with better comedic timing."
"So let's put a man with zero political experience in the job," says JammieWearingFool. "Oh wait, New Yorkers did that in 2001, and they're still stuck with him."
Winning by several dozen hairs
Baldwin's "entire campaign" can center around his amazing hair, says Jeff Labrecque at Entertainment Weekly. "Mitt Romney himself wishes he had that mane."
It doesn't get any better
"This would be the cherry on top of the Anthony Weiner fall-from-grace sundae," says T. Christopher at Republican Redefined. "Losing his gig in Congress only to have to watch his party's nomination for the gig he always wanted... go to an actor — and a Baldwin at that!"
"What have we learned from this?" asks Jen at the National Post. Apparently, "sending women pictures of your penis: Not OK." But, "calling your daughter an ungrateful pig: Politically viable."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
Subscribe to the Week