Isle of Palms, S.C. This six-bedroom home, constructed in 1996, has two living areas, a game room, and a big covered porch. The 0.4-acre property includes a playhouse swing set and a large, saltwater pool.
The house is a close walk to the area's recreation department and beach, and it features views of the Intracoastal Waterway. $1,599,000. Linda Gordon, Carolina One Real Estate, (843) 324-3476.
Newport, R.I. Built in 1890, this seven-bedroom house has five full and two partial bathrooms, a large gourmet kitchen and a playroom. Amenities include a breakfast area, a library, and two enclosed porches. Set on two acres close to the harbor, the residence has a large, flat lawn for game playing. $3,200,000. Ann Conner, Gustave White/Sotheby's International Realty, (401) 848-6709.
Shorewood, Minn. This house has six large bedrooms, a game room, and multiple living spaces. The residence, which sits on 1.8 acres, is in one of the highest-ranked school districts in the state.
Additional features include Japanese-inspired landscaping, a pool with an outdoor living room, and the opportunity to join the beach association. $1,295,000. Zinn Family Realtors/Coldwell Banker Burnet, (952) 474-2525.
Santa Barbara, Calif. This six-bedroom house on a six-acre hilltop features views of the Pacific Ocean, and it is in a highly ranked school district.
The home includes two nanny quarters, an apartment with a separate entrance, and an open floor plan. $2,575,000. Debra Stowers, Sotheby's International Realty. (805) 570-8332.
Acton, Mass. Sitting on 0.7 acres, this "Steal of the Week" is a three-bedroom house in one of the top-rated school districts in the state. The home, built in 1875, features hardwood floors, an updated kitchen, and a deck overlooking a private yard. The property is within walking distance to a ballpark, a playground, and commuter trains. $368,900. Rosina Harlem, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, (617) 852-2755.
Brooklyn. This five-story limestone town house is in the Park Slope neighborhood, known for its number of new families. The building has nine bedrooms, a large chef's kitchen, and original wood and plaster details.
Exterior space includes a south-facing garden with an in-ground swimming pool and two roof decks. $5,790,000. Jackie Lew, Halstead Property, (718) 613-2046.
**For more information on these homes, please contact the realtor listed**
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- How to be charismatic, according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week