- Patriots and pinheads April 22
On Monday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart made a pretty persuasive case that Sean Hannity would be using his Fox News show to eviscerate fee-dodging Nevada cattle rancher Cliven Bundy if... well, Stewart isn't quite sure why Hannity is defending Bundy. Federal laws are against Bundy, the courts have ruled against him, and even the Nevada constitution — which he recognizes as legitimate, a courtesy he denies the federal government — makes Bundy a scofflaw.
These are all points also made by Glenn Beck and Tucker Carlson, among other conservatives — a rare place for Stewart to be, as he acknowledged Monday night: "Sean Hannity has now made Glenn Beck the voice of reason." At the same time, Hannity isn't alone — Sen. Dean Heller (R) considers Bundy and his armed defenders "patriots." So does Bundy. But when the rancher compared himself to the Founding Fathers, Stewart had enough: "Dude, you're a welfare rancher trying to pull off the world's largest cattle dine-and-dash." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week