- India Votes May 16
India just completed its six-week-long national election, the largest exercise in democracy anywhere in the world. (Spoiler: Narendra Modi and his Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party won.) Like most Americans, the folks at The Daily Show have only passing familiarity with India and its electoral process. Instead of shying away from that fact, Jon Stewart almost embraced it on Thursday night's show (Jason Jones fully embraced his purported ignorance, to great effect), as a way to explain the candidates, issues, and nuts and bolts of India's election.
Stewart gave a brief primer on India's next prime minister, but keep watching for Jones' reluctant trip to India. You'll probably learn something, and you'll definitely laugh. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Why America needs more billionaires
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week