- India Votes May 16
India just completed its six-week-long national election, the largest exercise in democracy anywhere in the world. (Spoiler: Narendra Modi and his Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party won.) Like most Americans, the folks at The Daily Show have only passing familiarity with India and its electoral process. Instead of shying away from that fact, Jon Stewart almost embraced it on Thursday night's show (Jason Jones fully embraced his purported ignorance, to great effect), as a way to explain the candidates, issues, and nuts and bolts of India's election.
Stewart gave a brief primer on India's next prime minister, but keep watching for Jones' reluctant trip to India. You'll probably learn something, and you'll definitely laugh. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week