- India Votes May 16
India just completed its six-week-long national election, the largest exercise in democracy anywhere in the world. (Spoiler: Narendra Modi and his Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party won.) Like most Americans, the folks at The Daily Show have only passing familiarity with India and its electoral process. Instead of shying away from that fact, Jon Stewart almost embraced it on Thursday night's show (Jason Jones fully embraced his purported ignorance, to great effect), as a way to explain the candidates, issues, and nuts and bolts of India's election.
Stewart gave a brief primer on India's next prime minister, but keep watching for Jones' reluctant trip to India. You'll probably learn something, and you'll definitely laugh. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week