- Crisis in Iraq August 8
In video released by Vice News on Thursday, a representative of the terrorist group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) declared the organization's intention to continue its brutal sweep all the way to Washington, D.C. He also labeled cowardly the American use of drone strikes in the Middle East:
"I say to America that the Islamic Caliphate has been established. Don't be cowards and attack us with drones. Instead send your soldiers, the ones we humiliated in Iraq. We will humiliate them everywhere, God willing, and we will raise the flag of Allah in the White House." [Vice News]
The video also depicts ISIS militants doing doughnuts in a tank, and a child who may be as young as nine declaring his desire to join the terrorist group. ISIS' brutal sweep through Iraq has prompted President Obama to renew American engagement there after announcing the completion of the War in Iraq, a move which critics have suggested could ultimately do more harm than good. Watch the video in full below. --Bonnie Kristian
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Are hedge funds doomed?
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
Subscribe to the Week