- Crisis in Iraq August 8
In video released by Vice News on Thursday, a representative of the terrorist group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) declared the organization's intention to continue its brutal sweep all the way to Washington, D.C. He also labeled cowardly the American use of drone strikes in the Middle East:
"I say to America that the Islamic Caliphate has been established. Don't be cowards and attack us with drones. Instead send your soldiers, the ones we humiliated in Iraq. We will humiliate them everywhere, God willing, and we will raise the flag of Allah in the White House." [Vice News]
The video also depicts ISIS militants doing doughnuts in a tank, and a child who may be as young as nine declaring his desire to join the terrorist group. ISIS' brutal sweep through Iraq has prompted President Obama to renew American engagement there after announcing the completion of the War in Iraq, a move which critics have suggested could ultimately do more harm than good. Watch the video in full below. --Bonnie Kristian
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week