US states sue Donald Trump over emergency declaration
Joint lawsuit argues president does not have power to divert funds
A coalition of 16 US states is suing Donald Trump's administration over his decision to declare an emergency to raise funds for a Mexican border wall.
The joint lawsuit, which is led by California, comes days after the US President invoked emergency powers to bypass Congress and secure funding for the project. CNN says fighting the suit in court will “likely be difficult”.
Filed in Federal District Court in San Francisco, the lawsuit argues that the president does not have the power to divert funds for constructing a the wall because it is Congress that controls spending.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the aim of the legal action against Trump is “to block his misuse of presidential power”. He added: “For most of us, the office of the presidency is not a place for theatre.”
According to the Washington Post, the suit seeks a preliminary injunction that would prevent Trump acting on his emergency declaration while a legal battle takes place in the courts.
The states joining California in the lawsuit are Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Virginia and Michigan. They argue that Trump's order to divert funds to pay for the wall would cost them millions of dollars, damaging their economies.
This is not the only legal grief Trump is facing over over his national emergency declaration. Over the weekend, the Center for Biological Diversity, Border Network for Human Rights and the American Civil Liberties Union also announced lawsuits.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Trump had already accepted that he would be sued for the emergency order, and forecast that his move would lead to legal action which was likely to end up in the Supreme Court. Building a Mexican border wall was a key pledge in his 2016 campaign.
-
How AI chatbots are ending marriagesUnder The Radar When one partner forms an intimate bond with AI it can all end in tears
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
Trump’s Ukraine peace talks advance amid leaked callSpeed Read Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff is set to visit Russia next week
-
Memo signals Trump review of 233k refugeesSpeed Read The memo also ordered all green card applications for the refugees to be halted
-
Judge tosses Trump DOJ cases against Comey, JamesSpeed Read Both cases could potentially be brought again
-
X’s location update exposes international troll industryIn the Spotlight Social media platform’s new transparency feature reveals ‘scope and geographical breadth’ of accounts spreading misinformation
-
Tariffs: Will Trump’s reversal lower prices?Feature Retailers may not pass on the savings from tariff reductions to consumers
-
Trump: Is he losing control of MAGA?Feature We may be seeing the ‘first meaningful right-wing rebellion against autocracy of this era’
-
Donald Trump and Jeffrey Epstein: a TimelineIN DEPTH The alleged relationship between deceased sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein and Donald Trump has become one of the most acute threats to the president’s power
-
Why is Donald Trump suddenly interested in Sudan?Today's Big Question A push from Saudi Arabia’s crown prince helped