Anti-terror sources claim 800 jihadists ready to strike in Europe
'These people are not well trained, but they are poised and prepared to do anything'
Around 800 extremists recruited by Islamic State or groups affiliated to al-Qaeda are planning to launch attacks in Europe, counter-terrorism sources in Spain have claimed.
The jihadists are said to have returned to the continent from conflict zones in Syria and Iraq and are waiting for instructions from support networks.
The counter-terrorism sources told Cadena Ser, a Spanish radio station, that some of the "returners" were being tracked but admitted they did not know the whereabouts of all of them.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
"These people are not well trained, but they are poised and prepared to do anything. Once they have been indoctrinated, they receive the minimum training," one unnamed source told the station.
The warning comes after Moroccan gunman Ayoub El-Khazzani was overpowered by members of the public on a train travelling from Amsterdam to Paris last week. The 25-year-old, who was arrested with a rifle, knife, pistol and ammunition, is believed to be an "Islamist returner" who left France for Syria last year.
Khazzani claims he was trying to commit a robbery and is not a terrorist, but authorities believe he had been armed and given instructions to carry out a massacre.
According to the Metropolitan Police, around half of the 700 Britons thought to have travelled to Syria and Iraq to support jihadist organisations have since returned. Some are being monitored, while others have been referred for action under Prevent, the counter-extremism strategy, reports The Times.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Earlier this year, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, head of counter-terrorism at Scotland Yard, said "significant numbers" of extremists influenced by Islamic State were staying in the UK to plot attacks. In 2014, 165 arrests were made for Syria-linked terrorism offences across the UK, compared with 25 in 2013.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Sudoku medium: November 29, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
France’s ‘red hands’ trial highlights alleged Russian disruption operationsUNDER THE RADAR Attacks on religious and cultural institutions around France have authorities worried about Moscow’s effort to sow chaos in one of Europe’s political centers
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users