Speed Reads

danger on the ice

Carbon monoxide makes 81 people sick at hockey game

More than 80 people became sick after a faulty ice rink resurfacer leaked carbon monoxide gas into the air during a hockey game in Wisconsin on Saturday.

Players from the Dells Ducks and Rochester Ice Hawks teams, along with their relatives and coaches, complained of dizziness, headaches, nausea, and vomiting, the Star Tribune reports. Lake Delton Fire Chief Darren Jorgenson said the carbon monoxide came from one of the rink's two propane-fueled resurfacing machines, which passed inspection before the hockey season began.

Hockey rinks are not required by law to have carbon monoxide detectors, Jorgenson said, although in "any space that people occupy where there is a fuel-burning appliance, it's great to have as many [detectors] as possible." Ducks Coach Bill Zaniboni supports "whatever needs to change to make it a safer environment.... Health is the most important thing."