A squirrel paid the ultimate price for his curiosity, but not before causing $300,000 in damages to a $1.9 million community center in Indiana.
The Journal Gazette in Fort Wayne reports that a squirrel made its way into the electrical system at the newly renovated complex and caused a massive power surge that damaged three new HVAC systems and some parts of the boiler system. The result: A repair bill totaling about $300,000. The squirrel didn’t survive.
All repairs will be covered by insurance, minus the $50,000 deductible. The center — a former ice arena — will open as scheduled on June 7.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
This isn't the first time a squirrel has caused massive damage, of course. Perhaps the funniest squirrel debacle is this classic tale about a cop's first day on the job, from This American Life. --Catherine Garcia
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.