Marco Rubio enters Nevada caucus as GOP's anointed anti-Donald Trump


There are five Republicans still in the presidential race, but on Monday, several prominent Republicans portrayed it as a two-man contest between Donald Trump and Sen. Marco Rubio. With establishment stalwart Jeb Bush out of the race, Rubio notched several high-profile endorsements heading into Tuesday's GOP caucus in Nevada, and both Rubio and Trump took advantage of Sen. Ted Cruz's firing of his campaign spokesman to reiterate their charge that Cruz relies on dirty tricks.
Trump is expected to win the Nevada contest, and polls put him ahead in the majority of Super Tuesday primary states. GOP insiders are resigned to Trump triumphing on March 1, Byron York reports at The Washington Examiner, and the party has decided it has three weeks to narrow this down to a two-person race and stall Trump's momentum. "It's a risky strategy, but it's all the establishment has at this point," York says. So they are building up Rubio, who has notched 12 endorsements from governors or members of Congress since Friday, versus zero for Trump or Cruz.
"Make no mistake, this is a two-man race," Sen. Dean Heller (Nevada) told a Rubio rally in Reno on Monday. "This is between the Donald and Marco Rubio." House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy made a similar argument on MSNBC. Former Sen. Bob Dole, the GOP's 1996 presidential candidate, said Monday he had switched his endorsement from Bush to Rubio because Rubio "wants to grow the party as opposed to Cruz. I don't know what he wants to grow." Endorsements didn't seem to help Bush, however. If Trump continues to run against a divided field, the GOP nomination is widely believed to be his for the taking. And time is running out.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
Help! Do we really need four Beatles biopics?
Talking Point The cast of Sam Mendes' Beatles biopics has been announced
By Chas Newkey-Burden, The Week UK Published
-
Test driving the Rolls-Royce Spectre Black Badge
The Week Recommends We take the most powerful Rolls-Royce ever built for a spin in Barcelona
By Fergus Scholes Published
-
Tuberculosis is seeing a resurgence, and it's only going to get worse
Under the radar The spread of the deadly infection is buoyed by global unrest
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published