Republican elector explains why he won't vote for Trump


Republican presidential elector Christopher Suprun says he doesn't think a president-elect should be disqualified over policy disagreements or because he lost the popular vote — to him, the deal-breaker is showing the country daily that you're not qualified for the office.
In a New York Times op-ed published Monday, Suprun, a paramedic from Texas, said he was part of the response to the Sept. 11 attacks, a period he calls the last time the country was united. With his unfettered tweeting, Donald Trump is doing what he can to "drive a wedge between us," Suprun said, and he "does not encourage civil discourse, but chooses to stoke fear and create outrage." Suprun also took issue with Trump's business dealings and the fact that he surrounds himself with advisers like former Breitbart News head Steve Bannon, and said Trump lacks the foreign policy experience and demeanor to be president. This is troubling, but since the vote hasn't taken place yet, "electors of conscience can still do the right thing for the good of the country."
The role of the Electoral College is to "determine if candidates are qualified, not engaged in demagogy, and independent from foreign influence," he said. Trump has shown over and over he doesn't meet these standards, Suprun continued, and "given his own public statements, it isn't clear how the Electoral College can ignore these issues, and so it should reject him." He said he'd like to see his fellow electors rally around an "honorable" Republican candidate, like Ohio Gov. John Kasich, adding that while he has worked hard in the past to elect Republicans, he "owes no debt to a party. I owe a debt to my children to leave them a nation they can trust." Suprun ended his op-ed on a sober note. "Fifteen years ago, I swore an oath to defend my country and Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic," he said. "On Dec. 19, I will do it again." Read the entire op-ed at The New York Times.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published