Seth Meyers, Kellyanne Conway discuss leaks, Twitter, and Trump's pesky tax returns


Props to Seth Meyers, who on Tuesday's Late Night tried to get spinmaster extraordinaire Kellyanne Conway to answer questions about Donald Trump releasing his taxes, why he's gone so long without holding a press conference, and how people are expected to know what's in his heart.
Conway, Trump's campaign manager and now a counselor to the president-elect, told Meyers both she and Trump are fans of the show, which Meyers found shocking. Flattery didn't keep him from asking Conway about news that broke right before filming, regarding reports that Russia has compromising information on Trump. After some back and forth on the details of the document, Conway said the concern should be that "intelligence officials leak to the press," while Meyers said it's actually more worrisome that Trump doesn't know whether or not he received a briefing on the matter.
Throughout the segment, Conway brought up Hillary Clinton multiple times, regardless of the questions Meyers asked, and she became annoyed when the audience audibly snickered during several points of the interview, including when she said Trump has "enormous curiosity" and is a "successful, brilliant businessman." Conway declared that it's "not fair that people don't give him his due," and she's "astonished" by the "disrespect" people have for Trump. Their chat ended with Meyers making a bet with Conway — "I bet in the next four years we're not going to see the president-elect's tax returns." Watch the video below to find out how Conway spun her response. Catherine Garcia
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Gaza is running out of cash
Under The Radar Palestinians pay the price as black market springs up around banknotes and coins
By Elizabeth Carr-Ellis, The Week UK Published
-
Law firms: Caving to White House pressure
Feature Trump targets major law firms tied to his past investigations
By The Week US Published
-
Venezuelan deportees: Locked up for tattoos?
Feature A former pro soccer player was deported after U.S. authorities claimed his tattoo proved he belonged to a Venezuelan gang
By The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published