China and Russia slam Trump's national security strategy, but few think Trump will actually follow it
On Monday, President Trump unveiled a new national security strategy that portrays China and Russia as strategic adversaries using "subversive measures" to "challenge American power, influence, and interests, attempting to erode American security and prosperity." On Tuesday, Russia called Trump's new strategy "imperial" and indicative of "an aversion to a multi-polar world," while China urged Trump "to stop deliberately distorting China's strategic intentions and abandon a Cold War mentality," so the U.S. doesn't "injure others and damage itself."
But it isn't at all clear Trump will adhere to his national security strategy. As president he has frequently touted his good relationship with Chinese President Xi Jingping and studiously avoided criticizing Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom he spoke with twice last week. Halfway through Monday's speech on his security plan, Politico notes, Trump said he will work to "build a great partnership" with Moscow and Beijing and cited his intelligence-sharing with Russia, saying, "That's a great thing, and the way it's supposed to work."
"The greatest problem with the document is its frequent disconnects with the policies implemented by Trump's administration" and Trump's "professed opinions," says Council on Foreign Relations president Richard Haass at Axios, citing several examples. The strategy and Trump's speech about it "were worlds apart," agreed Thomas Wright at the Brookings Institution. "The strategy described the Russian and Chinese challenge in great detail, but Trump barely mentioned them. Instead he made an impassioned plea for partnership with Putin, demanded allies directly reimburse the United States for protection provided, and blamed the country's ills on immigrants and trade deals. ... It was as if he had not read the strategy at all. It was a surreal end to a surreal year."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
"If we get praise from people who think that the president is out of touch saying that this is a return to sanity, then we will have failed," said National Security Council spokesman Michael Anton.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
All My Sons: ‘epic and timeless’ theatre starring Bryan CranstonThe Week Recommends Ivo van Hove’s production of Arthur Miller’s classic play assumes the ‘grim yet towering momentum’ of a Greek tragedy
-
What’s the best way to use your year-end bonus?the explainer Pay down debt, add it to an emergency fund or put it toward retirement
-
10 concert tours to see this winterThe Week Recommends Keep cozy this winter with a series of concerts from big-name artists
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
