Trump says the full government won't reopen without funding for 'a wall, a fence, whatever'


On Christmas Day, President Trump held the Oval Office equivalent of a FaceTime chat with members of all five branches of the U.S. military — stationed in Alaska, Guam, Bahrain, and Qatar — and he used the occasion to discuss his proposed border wall and the government shutdown it has engendered. "I can't tell you when the government is going to reopen," he told reporters after the call. "I can tell you it's not going to be open until we have a wall, a fence, whatever they'd like to call it. I'll call it whatever they want. But it's all the same thing. It's a barrier from people pouring into our country." He said he hopes to have his wall built or renovated by Election Day 2020.
Trump's insistence on $5 billion for a border wall, and the refusal of Democrats to fund Trump's wall in favor of other border security measures, led about 25 percent of the federal government to shut down on Saturday. Congress doesn't return to Washington until Thursday afternoon. Trump said Tuesday he wants a 30-foot-high barrier, and "if you don't have that, then we're just not opening." About 800,000 federal workers are not getting paid or are otherwise affected by the Christmas shutdown, and Trump insisted, against all available evidence, that "many of those workers have said to me, communicated — stay out until you get the funding for the wall."
"It's a disgrace what's happening in our country," Trump concluded, "but other than that, I wish everybody a very merry Christmas."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
Tuberculosis is seeing a resurgence, and it's only going to get worse
Under the radar The spread of the deadly infection is buoyed by global unrest
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Crossword: April 3, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Sudoku medium: April 3, 2025
The Week's daily medium sudoku puzzle
By The Week Staff Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published