Lawyers for President Trump's inauguration committee were contacted Monday afternoon by federal prosecutors from the public corruption division of New York's Southern District, and later received a subpoena for documents, people with knowledge of the matter told ABC News.
"While we are still reviewing the subpoena, it is our intention to cooperate with the inquiry," a spokesperson for the inauguration told ABC News. The prosecutors are seeking information related to inaugural fund donors and foreign contributors, contractors, vendors, and the bank accounts of members of the inaugural committee, The Washington Post reports. Trump's inaugural fund raised a record $107 million, but the committee put on scaled-back festivities. Federal prosecutors are reportedly interested in foreigners who attended Trump inaugural events and whether any foreign nationals gave money to the fund, which is illegal.
Last year, Trump's former personal lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, was accused by prosecutors with the Southern District of campaign finance violations, bank fraud, and tax evasion; he pleaded guilty, and was interviewed extensively by prosecutors. Allen Weisselberg, the chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, also testified as part of the case, and reportedly received immunity from prosecutors.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
This is a developing story, and has been updated throughout.
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.