Pence says Pete Buttigieg's 'quarrel is with the First Amendment'


Vice President Mike Pence again responded to criticism from South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, this time accusing the 2020 Democrat of not respecting the First Amendment.
Buttigieg and Pence, both of whom are from Indiana and are devout Christians, have been trading barbs in recent days, with the South Bend mayor on Sunday saying he wishes the "Mike Pences of the world would understand" that if they have a problem with him for being gay, then "your quarrel, sir, is with my creator." Pence replied that Buttigieg "said some things that are critical of my Christian faith and about me personally" and that he "knows better."
But Pence went a bit further in a new interview with CNN airing Friday, saying that Buttigieg's "quarrel is with the First Amendment." The vice president said he "considered [Buttigieg] a friend" and that he doesn't "have a problem with him." But "I hope that Pete will offer more to the American people than attacks on my Christian faith," he continued, adding that Buttigieg would "do well to reflect on the importance of respecting the freedom of religion of every American."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Buttigieg has pushed back on this line of criticism before, telling Ellen DeGeneres that he's a critic not of Pence's faith but of "bad policies" and of "religion being used as a justification to harm people." He also explained he's not interested in feuding with Pence but encouraged the the vice president to "clear this up" by coming out and saying it "shouldn't be legal to discriminate against anybody in this country for who they are." Brendan Morrow
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Book reviews: ‘Red Scare: Blacklists, McCarthyism, and the Making of Modern America’ and ‘How to End a Story: Collected Diaries, 1978–1998’
Feature A political ‘witch hunt’ and Helen Garner’s journal entries
By The Week US Published
-
The backlash against ChatGPT's Studio Ghibli filter
The Explainer The studio's charming style has become part of a nebulous social media trend
By Theara Coleman, The Week US Published
-
Why are student loan borrowers falling behind on payments?
Today's Big Question Delinquencies surge as the Trump administration upends the program
By Joel Mathis, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published