Biden denies treating Anita Hill 'badly'


Former Vice President Joe Biden on Friday defended his handling of the Anita Hill hearing one day after she expressed dissatisfaction with their private conversation.
During Biden's appearance on The View, his first interview since announcing his 2020 bid, he said he is "sorry" Hill was "treated the way she was treated," but he argued he "did everything in my power." Biden has faced criticism for his handling of the 1991 hearings for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, including for not calling additional witnesses who could have backed up Hill's account that Thomas sexually harassed her. Biden at the time was chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Pressed about why he doesn't apologize more directly, Biden told The View, "If you go back and look at what I said and didn't say, I don't think I treated her badly" and that he simply didn't know how to stop "inflammatory questions."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Biden also said he didn't call Hill before because he didn't "want to 'invade' her space." Hill had previously said she was waiting for Biden to reach out to her for so long that it was a "running joke" in her house that whenever the door rang, it would be Biden coming to apologize.
The former vice president's campaign on Thursday had said that he spoke with Hill privately, but hours later, Hill said she was unhappy with the conversation, telling The New York Times, "I cannot be satisfied by simply saying, 'I'm sorry for what happened to you.'" Brendan Morrow
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Max Allan Collins’ 6 favorite books that feature private detectives
Feature The mystery writer recommends works by Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and more
By The Week US Published
-
What to know about the latest Social Security cost-of-living adjustment
The Explainer The COLA for 2025 marked the smallest increase in years, and benefit recipients are not happy
By Becca Stanek, The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published