The White House says it's rejecting an unauthorized 'do-over' of the Mueller investigation. Nadler says that's 'preposterous.'


The White House is rejecting a request for documents from the House Judiciary Committee, blasting Democrats' investigation into President Trump as an attempted "do-over."
White House Counsel Pat Cipollone in a letter to House Judiciary Committee Chair Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) on Wednesday criticized the committee's March request for documents from former and current administration officials. Democrats are currently investigating whether Trump abused his power in office and obstructed justice. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe did not establish whether Trump committed an obstruction of justice offense but also did not exonerate him, laying out instances of potential obstruction.
Cipollone characterizes this congressional investigation as "unauthorized 'do-over'" of the "exhaustive" one conducted by Mueller. He argues Democrats are operating outside of their constitutional authority in order to conduct a "pseudo law enforcement investigation" because Mueller's probe "did not reach the conclusion that some members of the committee apparently would have preferred." He also says the "appropriate course" would be to end the inquiry.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The White House will "resist the overbroad demands" from Democrats out of "respect for the rule of law," Cipollone concludes, demanding that they "narrow" the scope of the requests. This letter comes after the White House previously said it was instructing former counsel Don McGahn not to supply requested documents to Congress.
Nadler in response to the letter told CNN's Manu Raju that the White House is "claiming that the president is a king," adding, "no president, no person in the United States is above the law" and "this is preposterous." He also said that Democrats will not end their investigation and that they're considering hitting people who don't comply with subpoenas with "very large" fines. Earlier in the day, Nadler had said in an interview with CNBC that while we're "probably" not "heading for impeachment," Trump is "making it increasingly difficult" to avoid.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Scottish hospitality shines at these 7 hotels
The Week Recommends Sleep well at these lovely inns across Scotland
By Catherine Garcia, The Week US Published
-
Scientists invent a solid carbon-negative building material
Under the radar Building CO2 into the buildings
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Crossword: April 1, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published