Chris Christie is reportedly back at the White House
After slamming President Trump's "revolving door" of "amateurs, grifters," and "felons" last year, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is reportedly back visiting the White House.
Christie, Politico reports, spent the day in the West Wing on Friday as the president's team gears up for the Senate's upcoming impeachment trial.
The former New Jersey governor competed against Trump for the 2016 Republican nomination and was later ousted from Trump's transition team. Last year, he released a book in which he wrote that Trump surrounds himself with "a revolving door of deeply flawed individuals — amateurs, grifters, weaklings, convicted and unconvicted felons."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Christie also revealed that he turned down offers to join the administration no fewer than seven times, and he suggested in an interview that some in Trump's inner circle were "lying" about Russia because "bad people and stupid people lie for no reason."
Despite his harsh words, the former governor in December launched a pro-Trump advocacy group, saying there has been "a lack of attention on the positive things the administration has done for the country." As Politico reports, the Trump administration has been preparing a "made-for-TV" defense of Trump ahead of the trial, and Trump is closely monitoring the image his defense portrays as he seeks "to get his side of the story told."
The specific reason for Christie's West Wing visit isn't clear, but when he launched his pro-Trump group, he said he's "always tried to get the other part of the story out there to the people."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
What does the fall in net migration mean for the UK?Today’s Big Question With Labour and the Tories trying to ‘claim credit’ for lower figures, the ‘underlying picture is far less clear-cut’
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
