atie Holmes — under fire for repeatedly allowing her three-year-old daughter Suri to don kitten-heeled shoes — recently defended the controversial footwear decision while attending a Los Angeles event for the Dizzy Feet Foundation, an organization devoted to helping underprivileged children dance. While Holmes says the shoes, beloved by Suri, are specially designed toddler dancewear with built-in support, doctors have weighed in with medical concerns. Is Holmes being irresponsible?
At Suri's age, wearing heels can damage physical development: If worn too often, high heels can tighten or shorten the Achilles tendon, says New York podiatrist Dr. Oliver Zong, as quoted in Fox News. "Children are growing quickly, and…if the tendon is not growing at the same rate as everything else, it could become a problem." What's more, if Suri's foot shape changes—which can happen to toddler feet "in just one month"—her favorite heels "could damage the growth of her feet."
"Are Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes jeopardizing Suri's growth with high heels?"
Heels are just too unstable for little kids: "Toddlers and heels go together like…well, copious amounts of booze and Tylenol PM—they don't," says parenting blog Babble.com. "Hobble on, Suri. See you in the ER."
"Suri pairs heels with pigtails this time"
Give Holmes a break: Why are we so quick to dismiss Holmes' explanation, asks Marissa Gold on Stylist.com. A known dance enthusiast and guest star on "So You Think You Can Dance?" Holmes has taken the time to explain that what seem like flimsy kitten heels are "actually ballroom dancing shoes for kids." How can we criticize Suri for simply wanting "shoes like mommy's?"
"Katie Holmes explains daughter Suri’s heels"
Suri's "love" for the shoes is irrelevant: "Kids love a lot of things," says Tim Kenneally at Celebuzz.com, like "ice cream for breakfast" and "shoving crayons deep into their ear canals." That doesn’t mean parents should "encourage such tendencies."
"Katie Holmes: A shoe-in for Worst Mom Award?”
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Is it finally time to start paying college athletes?
- China's massive pollution problem
- Laura van den Berg's 6 favorite unconventional mystery novels
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
Subscribe to the Week