Protests are flaring up around the world as a YouTube trailer for an anti-Islam film, Innocence of Muslims, continues to outrage the Muslim community. The American-made, mysteriously inept low-budget film, which depicts the Prophet Muhammad as a womanizer and child molester, has forced the U.S. to beef up security measures at its embassies in the Middle East as riot police continue to clash with violent protesters. Although U.S. officials have officially condemned the film as reprehensible and non-representative of American values, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Iran blamed the West's "Islamophobic policies of arrogance and Zionism" and decreed the U.S. government's disavowal of the film "meaningless." Just how widespread are the protests? Here's a look, by the numbers:
Countries that have experienced protests triggered by the film trailer, including Egypt, Indonesia, Lebanon, and Iran
Demonstrators who took to the streets in Sydney, Australia
Australian police reportedly injured
Sydney protesters reportedly injured
Protesters who have died in the worldwide riots
Marchers who took to the streets in the Afghan capital of Kabul
Policemen who sustained wounds during the Kabul protests
Students and teachers who protested in Pakistan's southwestern Baluchistan province. Students as young as 12 were reportedly told to skip class by their instructors to attend the protests
Country (Sudan) that denied U.S. Marines entry as the Pentagon bolsters security measures
U.S. diplomats and members of the U.S. embassy staff evacuated from Tunisia
Worldwide Muslim population
Reported cost of the obscure, low-budget film. (Read more about it here.)
Protesters arrested in Libya over the U.S. consulate attack last Tuesday, which killed 4 Americans, including U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we gossip, according to science
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week