resident Obama — who has been pummeled with criticism this week for his shockingly listless and mediocre debate performance — got some good news on Friday: The unemployment rate dropped below 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years. (The September jobless rate of 7.8 percent is the lowest number since Obama took office in January 2009.) But before the news could really set in, former GE CEO Jack Welch took to Twitter to accuse Obama of manipulating the jobs report for his own benefit. And he's not the only one. Below, meet Twitter's "jobs report truthers." (And for some helpful context, read The Washington Post's Ezra Klein thoroughly debunk the conspiracy theories.)
Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can't debate so change numbers— Jack Welch (@jack_welch) October 5, 2012
No, there's nothing at all curious about the last jobs report diving to 7.8% unemployment before the election.— Keith Urbahn (@keithurbahn) October 5, 2012
I don't think BLS cooked numbers. I think a bunch of Dems lied about getting jobs. That would have same effect.— Conn Carroll (@conncarroll) October 5, 2012
This just proves what a criminal Obama is. He has lied & forced his labor dept to report 7.8% Unemployment with only 114,000 jobs created.— Fritz Harrod (@bignels2) October 5, 2012
ROOT: Jack Welch former CEO of GE said it, and so do I. New unemployment numbers are fraud. Total made up scam:cnbc.com/id/49299718— Wayne Allyn Root (@WayneRoot) October 5, 2012
Jobs report is a lie !!It's not a conspiracy theory...it's people covering up/lying for Obama.— brian peters (@BpSitRep) October 5, 2012
Anybody believe the jobs report today? Labor Dept. not snding layoff notices to help BO, this report is a lie!— Pam Rhudy (@prhudy) October 5, 2012
Obama said weds that a President owes it to country to tell truth then pisses on our leg with fake jobs report and tells us it's raining— Robert Wilson (@rwlawoffice) October 5, 2012
- Mexico's unluckiest thieves stole enough radioactive waste to make a dirty bomb
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- 10 works of literature that were exceptionally hard to write
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
Subscribe to the Week