n Friday afternoon, President Obama wiped away tears as he addressed the nation about the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, that killed at least 27 people, including 18 children. "Our hearts are broken today," the president said.
We've endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years. The majority of those who died today were children. Beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old...
After listing a slew of mass shootings in the past year alone, Obama said it was time for the country to take "meaningful action" to prevent such tragedies. However, he stopped short of calling for more robust gun control laws. Watch the video:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The week's best photojournalism
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week