A Milan tax court ruled in favor of Italy's tax authority, Agenzia delle Entrate, and found Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana guilty of tax evasion. The pair appealed the decision a lower court reached last year, but the higher court didn't rule in their favor, either.
Dolce and Gabbana had been suspected of tax evasion for nearly 10 years and were charged with using a Luxembourg-based holding company, Gado, to avoid paying taxes on royalties of $1.38 billion, reports Reuters.
Both the designers, as well as their accountant Luciano Patelli, were sentenced to 18 months of jail time — the sentence was reduced from 20 months thanks to the statute of limitations on facts in the case. But luckily for them, Italy has a minimum two-year sentencing for jail time, so Dolce and Gabbana will likely serve their sentence through house arrest and community service rather than in jail cells.
The designers' lawyer says they plan to appeal the case again, though at this point it seems wiser for them to quit while they're behind. Meghan DeMaria
The two civilian victims killed Friday during the shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs have been identified by their families as Jennifer Markovsky, 36, and Ke'Arre Stewart, 29.
— Matt Pearce (@mattdpearce) November 29, 2015
Markovsky was a mother of two, The Denver Post reports, and Stewart, an Army veteran who served in Iraq, was a father of two. Family members told Hawaii News Now that Markovsky accompanied a friend to an appointment at the clinic; the friend was shot in the hand. Authorities in Colorado Springs said they are waiting until the autopsies are completed before formally identifying the two victims.
— Matt Pearce (@mattdpearce) November 29, 2015
Also killed in the shooting was Garrett Swasey, 44, a University of Colorado-Colorado Springs police officer who responded to the scene after the shooting began Friday morning. Nine people were injured, and all are expected to recover, The Guardian reports. Catherine Garcia
Citing "recent tragic events at other campuses across the country," University of Chicago President Robert J. Zimmer announced Sunday that after receiving information from the FBI about an online threat, the school was canceling all Monday classes and activities on its Hyde Park campus.
In a statement, Zimmer wrote that counterterrorism officials informed the university that "an unknown individual posted an online threat of gun violence against the University of Chicago, specifically mentioning 'the campus quad' on Monday morning at 10 a.m." Students, non-essential staff, and non-medical faculty are being asked to stay off campus, and there will be an "increased police and security presence on and around campus, including police personnel with visible weapons and other additional measures." The FBI is continuing to investigate the threat, Zimmer said. Catherine Garcia
Instead of fighting crowds for doorbuster deals, more people shopped for bargains this Thanksgiving and Black Friday weekend from the comfort of their own home.
The National Retail Federation estimates that more than 103 million Americans shopped online, and almost 102 million shopped in brick-and-mortar stores. Adobe Systems Inc. says consumers spent around $4.45 billion online during Black Friday, up 14 percent from 2014. Adobe also estimates that more than 50 percent of those shoppers used mobile devices to make purchases. "This holiday may be a wake-up call for store-based retailers to recognize they are going to have to transform their store models to compete with online retailers," Steve Barr, a retail consultant at PricewaterhouseCoopers, told The Wall Street Journal.
Several retailers offered the same promotions online and in store, and some, like Walmart, put major deals up online hours before they were available in stores. It's not just big box stores trying to woo shoppers online; companies like Expedia are also offering special deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. "Ultimately, retailers are in a race to capture their share of consumer spending," Barr said. Catherine Garcia
In an open letter posted online Sunday, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant announced that the current NBA season will be his last.
"My heart can take the pounding, my mind can handle the grind, but my body knows it's time to say goodbye," the 37-year-old wrote on The Players Tribune. Bryant, now in his 20th season, has been with the Lakers since 1996, when he was a 17-year-old brought to the team after Vlade Divac was sent to the Charlotte Hornets. He has won five NBA championships and two Olympic gold medals, and was an NBA All-Star pick 17 times and an NBA MVP. In a statement, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver called Bryant "one of the greatest players in the history of our game." Catherine Garcia
Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.) hasn't really succeeded yet in standing out in a large pool of Republican presidential hopefuls. His polling numbers are no great shakes, and they even caused him to miss out on one recent primetime debate.
Chris Christie is a solid, pro-life conservative who has managed to govern in liberal New Jersey, face down the big public unions, and win a second term. Gov. Christie can work across the aisle, but he won't get rolled by the bureaucrats. We don't need as President some well-meaning person from the private sector who has no public experience.
Gov. Christie is right for these dangerous times. He has prosecuted terrorists and dealt admirably with major disasters. But the one reason he may be best-suited to lead during these times is because he tells it like it is and isn't shy about it. [Union Leader]
— Chris Christie (@ChrisChristie) November 29, 2015
Philip Williams, a 69-year-old U.S. Navy veteran, said he returned to West Hempstead, New York, in August after recovering from a knee replacement and ensuing complications to find that his home had been demolished.
— IndyStar (@indystar) November 29, 2015
Williams has filed a notice of claim, the first step in filing a lawsuit against the town, The Associated Press reported Saturday. The veteran is seeking reimbursement for the house itself and for his belongings, which include his clothing, photos of his children, and his late wife's engagement ring. He has also asked police for a criminal inquiry.
"I'm angry and I'm upset. It's just wrong on so many levels," Williams told AP. "My mortgage was up to date, my property taxes were up to date...everything was current and fine."
Town officials said they held a public hearing before demolishing the house, which they considered a "dilapidated dwelling," after looking into neighbors' complaints. They also said they made attempts to notify Williams of the decision while he was recovering in Florida, a claim the veteran has disputed.
"You see people who went through a tornado or a flood and they say they lost everything, but that's not preventable," Williams said. "This was preventable." Julie Kliegman
Not only is baby Princess Charlotte fourth in line for the British throne, but she also continues to be unfairly cute. Kensington Palace tweeted out two new photos of the 6-month-old Sunday that were captured by her mother Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge. Brace yourself for the adorableness of the baby and her stuffed animal below:
The Duke and Duchess hope everyone enjoys these new photos of Princess Charlotte as much as they do. pic.twitter.com/ylZ7VvOuIY
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 29, 2015
"The Duke and Duchess continue to receive warm messages about Princess Charlotte from all around the world and they hope that everyone enjoys these lovely photos as much as they do," USA Today reports the palace said in a statement. Julie Kliegman