In new memoir, Megyn Kelly says Trump was tipped off to debate question


In her new memoir, Settle for More, Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly revealed that Donald Trump was tipped off to a question before the first debate of the Republican primary last year, The New York Times reports.
The paper obtained an early copy of the book, due out Nov. 15, in which Kelly writes that before the debate in August 2015, Trump called Fox News executives to say he heard Kelly's first question was to be a "very pointed question directed at him." Kelly wrote she was concerned because this was true — the first question was about Trump's derogatory remarks about women. She does not say who she believes might have been behind the leak, but does go into more detail about earlier threats she received from Trump; after she ran a segment on The Kelly File that he didn't like, Kelly writes that he refused to go on the show again until she called him. She did, and he threatened to unleash his "beautiful Twitter account" against her, adding, "I still may." All of this behavior was "bizarre," she said, "especially for a man who wanted the nuclear codes."
Earlier in the year before he announced his candidacy, Trump tried to woo her, Kelly says, sending her notes and offering a stay for her and her husband at his Florida resort. "This is actually one of the untold stories of the 2016 campaign," she wrote. "I was not the only journalist to whom Trump offered gifts clearly meant to shape coverage. Many reporters have told me that Trump worked hard to offer them something fabulous — from hotel rooms to rides on his 757." Kelly also shared that she was on the receiving end of sexual advances by her boss Roger Ailes, who left the company this summer after former anchor Gretchen Carlson came forward with accusations of sexual harassment. In 2006, she says, Ailes tried to grab her and kiss her on the lips, and as she attempted to run out of the room, he asked, "When is your contract up?" Read more at The New York Times. Catherine Garcia
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Update 8:39 a.m.: Megyn Kelly has disputed reports that Donald Trump was leaked a question. "For the record, my book Settle for More does not suggest Trump had any debate [questions] in advance, nor do I believe that he did," she tweeted.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
'The winners and losers of AI may not be where we expect'
Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Shingles vaccine cuts dementia risk, study finds
Speed Read Getting vaccinated appears to significantly reduce the chances of developing Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge ends Eric Adams case, Trump leverage
Speed Read Federal corruption charges against New York City Mayor Eric Adams were dismissed, as requested by Trump's Justice Department
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump rolls out tariffs on virtually all imports
Speed Read On "Liberation Day," Trump announced a 10% baseline tariff on all imports to America and higher reciprocal tariffs for some 60 other countries
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published