- 2014 Watch August 5
Republican Sen. Pat Roberts has just survived a Tea Party primary challenge back in Kansas, with a victory over medical doctor Milton Wolf.
With 71 percent of precincts reporting, Roberts has 48 percent of the vote against Wolf's 41 percent; The Associated Press has projected Roberts as the winner.
In this contest, both candidates offered voters quite a bit to dislike about them. For Roberts, who has been in either the Senate or the House for a total of 34 years, it was his lack of an actual home in Kansas — a problem he exacerbated with a recent gaffe: "Every time I get an opponent — I mean, every time I get a chance, I'm home."
Milton Wolf (who is also a somewhat distant cousin of President Obama, whom he frequently denounces) had his own scandal, when it was revealed this past February that he had previously posted X-rays of severely injured patients on his Facebook account, along with jokes about gruesome contents of the pictures. Wolf would go to explain that this sort of thing is a coping method for medical professionals who deal with such cases on a regular basis — and even then, his explanations could still sound rather impolitic.
Roberts "accuses me of releasing private patient information, but quite frankly he's lying," Wolf told ABC News, in a recent quote published earlier Tuesday. "We're talking about anonymous X-rays. If there was an X-ray of you, you would not be able to recognize that it's you, and there's a good chance you probably wouldn't know what body part it is."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week