Paris Orly attack: Drugs and alcohol found in gunman's blood
Tests reveal Ziyed Ben Belgacem consumed alcohol, cannabis and cocaine before attempted shooting
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Blood tests have revealed that the gunman who launched an attempted attack at Paris Orly airport on Saturday was under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
French national Ziyed Ben Belgacem, 39, had an alcohol level of 0.93 grams per litre in his blood, twice the legal limit for driving in France, along with traces of cannabis and cocaine, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said. Cocaine was also found during a police search of Belgacem's home.
Molins added that the gunman had been flagged as having been "radicalised" during a spell in detention in 2011-2012, reports the Daily Telegraph. His flat was among dozens raided during the aftermath of the November 2015 Paris attacks that killed 130 people.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Belgacem's father told Europe 1 radio: "My son was never a terrorist. He never attended prayer. He drank. But under the effects of alcohol and cannabis, this is where one ends up."
Belgacem was shot dead on Saturday after holding a pellet gun to a soldier at the airport and reportedly shouting: "I am here to die in the name of Allah... There will be deaths".
A copy of the Koran, matches and a container of petrol were found in a backpack he was carrying.He had also injured a policewoman earlier that morning, shooting her in the face with an air pistol after being stopped for speeding north of Paris.
He abandoned the car, hijacked another vehicle at gunpoint and drove to the airport.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
His father revealed he had called and said: "I ask for your forgiveness. I've screwed up with a gendarme [police officer]."
Around 3,000 people were evacuated from Orly airport following Saturday's incident.
Visiting the scene, President Francois Hollande said: "I wish to salute the exceptional courage and the conduct of the security forces who made sure the individual was not able to do harm."
Belgacem's attack took place as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge carried out a two-day official visit of Paris, where they met survivors of the 2015 attacks.
-
What to know before filing your own taxes for the first timethe explainer Tackle this financial milestone with confidence
-
The biggest box office flops of the 21st centuryin depth Unnecessary remakes and turgid, expensive CGI-fests highlight this list of these most notorious box-office losers
-
What are the best investments for beginners?The Explainer Stocks and ETFs and bonds, oh my
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military