Nobel Prize for Literature called off for first time since WWII
Cancellation of this year’s award follows committee resignations over handling of sexual assault claims
The Nobel Prize for Literature will not be awarded in 2018 - the first year that the honour has not been bestowed since the Second World War.
The Swedish Academy, which selects the winner of the annual prize, says it needs time to regroup and regain its credibility following the resignations of multiple committee members over the organisation’s handling of sexual assault allegations.
The row centres on 18 allegations of sexual assault against French photographer Jean-Claude Arnault, who has received funding from the Academy and whose wife, author Katarina Frostenson, was a committee member until quitting over the scandal.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The accusers include Academy members and their relatives, and some of the alleged assaults occurred during Swedish Academy functions.
Among the accusations are that he touched Sweden’s Crown Princess Victoria inappropriately at a Swedish Academy event over a decade ago”, CNN reports. Arnaut denies any wrongdoing.
The Academy severed ties with Arnault shortly after the allegations surfaced late last year, but controversially voted not to remove Frostenson from the committee.
“Accused of conflict of interest and dealing with further scandal surrounding the leaking of Nobel winner’s names, a string of members exited their posts”, including Academy head Professor Sara Danius, says The Independent.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
A total of six of the body’s 18 members, who are elected to their positions for life, have stepped down in recent months.
In a statement this morning, the Academy’s permanent secretary, Anders Olsson, said that “in view of the currently diminished Academy and the reduced public confidence”, the decision had been made to cancel this year’s ceremony.
It will be only the eighth time in the award’s 117-year history that no winner has been named. “On five of those occasions, the prize was delayed then awarded at the same time as the following year’s prize,” the Academy said in a statement.
Discussions to select this year’s laureate had reached an “advanced stage”, Olsson said, and the committee hopes to choose two winners in 2019.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Sudoku medium: November 29, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
How does the Nobel Peace Prize work?The Explainer Activist María Corina Machado wins prestigious prize, despite public campaign by Donald Trump
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users