Sagrada Familia to pay £32m for building for 136 years without a permit
Builders of unfinished Barcelona cathedral never obtained official permission
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia cathedral has been landed with a £31.8m bill for building without a permit for 136 years.
The construction of the cathedral, designed by artist Antoni Gaudi, began in 1882 and has continued ever since.
However, the builders of the cathedral never actually obtained a valid construction permit, a fact that has been at the centre of a long-running dispute between church officials and Barcelona’s city authorities.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The lack of permit means the cathedral “is not overseen by any authority to ensure that construction complies with building norms”, says El Pais.
Last week, Barcelona’s mayor Ada Colau tweeted that the city had reached an “historic accord” with the church’s trustees which will see the basilica pay out €36m (£31.8m) over the next ten years.
The lion’s share - €22m (£19m) - will go towards improving the city’s overburdened public transport network, while the rest of the long-deferred payment will go towards security costs and redeveloping the area around the cathedral.
“In return for the money, the authorities will officially regularise the work and the basilica will be able to formalise its permit to complete the design,” architecture website Dezeen reports.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
By the time of Gaudi’s death in 1926, only a quarter of planned work on the vast undertaking - which includes 18 towers, the highest of them 170m tall - had been completed, says The Culture Trip.
The cathedral now has a tentative completion date of 2026 - 144 years after the first stones were laid - to coincide with the centenary of Gaudi’s death. In 2010, Pope Benedict XVI consecrated the building as a basilica of the Catholic Church, a status that can only be conferred by a pope.
Despite being unfinished, the edifice is the city’s most iconic landmark, drawing more than three million visitors per year. In 1984, the cathedral’s facade and crypt, where Gaudi is interred, were designated a Unesco World Heritage Site.
-
Political cartoons for February 15Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include political ventriloquism, Europe in the middle, and more
-
The broken water companies failing England and WalesExplainer With rising bills, deteriorating river health and a lack of investment, regulators face an uphill battle to stabilise the industry
-
A thrilling foodie city in northern JapanThe Week Recommends The food scene here is ‘unspoilt’ and ‘fun’
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military