Dublin church appeals for return of medieval crusader’s head
Police hunt for vandals who desecrated remains in historic church crypt
A Dublin church is appealing for leads to find a head belonging to a medieval crusader, after vandals looted its crypt.
The thieves are thought to have targeted the vaults beneath St Michan’s, a 17th-century Anglican church in the Irish capital, over the weekend.
“The discovery was made as a tour guide was preparing to open the church for visitors on Monday afternoon,” the BBC reports.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A “large amount of damage was caused to the vault”, the Irish Independent reports, and several sets of preserved remains had been disturbed by the intruders.
The vandals “decapitated” a 12th-century mummy known as “The Crusader” in accordance with the traditional history that he was part of the Christian army who battled Muslim forces for control of the holy land in the medieval era.
The Crusader’s head is now missing from the vault, along with another skull laid to rest in the chamber, which houses the remains of many prominent Dublin families of the 16th and 17th century.
“The head of a mummified nun, who died 300 years ago, had also been turned 180 degrees to face the wrong direction while a third mummy had been turned on its side,” the Irish Times reports.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
The Archdeacon of Dublin, David Pierpoint, told the Irish Independent that the upended crypt made for a “pretty gruesome scene”.
“We’re not quite sure what the motive behind all of this is. Whether its vandalism or, we don’t know,” he added. “At the moment we’re just waiting for the gardaí [police] to do their job.”
Thousands of people visit the church every year to see its historic crypt, but church officials say that the tours of the site will be suspended for the “foreseeable future”.
The Archbishop of Dublin, Michael Jackson, said he was “shocked” that someone would desecrate the ancient burial place, and appealed for the return of the missing head.
“Not only have these individuals desecrated the sacred crypt but they have destroyed these historic mummies which have been preserved in St Michan’s for hundreds of years,” he said.
“I would appeal to those responsible to examine their consciences and return the head of The Crusader to its rightful place.”
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
What does the fall in net migration mean for the UK?Today’s Big Question With Labour and the Tories trying to ‘claim credit’ for lower figures, the ‘underlying picture is far less clear-cut’
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American citiesUnder the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted