The week's best of the internet
The 8 best images, videos, and memes to emerge from the great digital playground — from a 15-year-old Zuck's alleged Angelfire page to practical costumes for superheroines
1. Turtle cozies are a thing nowDo you love drinking ice-cold turtles after a hard day at work but hate how they make your fingers freeze? Brrrrrrr. No. Thanks. Fear not, though, for we might finally have a solution. Introducing the most twee thing ever conceptualized: Hand-crocheted cozies for your turtle. (Via Laughing Squid)
2. The NRCC goes OMG!Recently, the National Republican Congressional Committee published a buzz-worthy post called "13 animals that are bummed about Obamacare." Very buzzy indeed. I wonder where they got the idea from. Cat quite put my finger on it. It's bugging me meow. (Via NRCC.org)
3. Finally! Practical crime-fighting costumesShort skirts and stilettos are, practically speaking, not the most ideal duds to fight evildoers in. So kudos to artist Michael Lee Lunsford, who took it upon himself to redesign the costumes of some of our favorite female superheroes, with pragmatic new threads for Wonder Woman, Elektra, and Supergirl, pictured here. (via The Mary Sue)
4. Is this Mark Zuckerberg's Angelfire page?Before all of this silly billionaire stuff, Mark Zuckerberg was apparently a budding teen programmer who, like many 15-year-olds, really liked Eminem — at least according to what looks like his recently unearthed Angelfire page. Here's what the site's "About Me" says:
Hi, my name is… Slim Shady, No, really, my name is Slim Shady. Just kidding, my name is Mark Zuckerberg (for those of you that don't know me) and I live in a small town near the massive city of New York. I am currently 15 years old and I just finished my freshman year in high school. I have remodeled this website in an attempt that perhaps some search engine will recognize it. I am trying to promote my new AOL Program, The Vader Fader, which you can download elsewhere on this site. [Mashable]
5. Tumblr of the Week: ramenbeast.tumblr.comWarning: Do not look at this if you're hungry. I repeat. Do not look if you are hungry.
6. What dead music icons would look like todayBuzzFeed did its best Newsweek imitation and cobbled together a collection of Photoshops imagining what dead music icons would look like if they were alive today. The "oh no they didn't!"-list includes folks like Aaliyah, Kurt Cobain, and 2pac, pictured here:
7. For sale: Biggie's apartmentSpeaking of dead rappers, the late Christopher Wallace's childhood apartment in Bed-Stuy (now Clinton Hill) went on sale this week. According to NY Mag, the renovated three-bedroom is going for a pretty attractive price of $725,000, all things considered. Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis presumably not included. (Via NY Mag)
8. Cat of the WeekEveryone give a polite curtsy to Maggie, the winner of The Most Important Award On the Internet this week. Hey Maggie, there's string on your head. (Thanks, Liz!)
Do you own a cat, dog, or other cuddly animal? Send over a photo to Gayomali@TheWeek.com for a chance to be featured.