The daily gossip: Troy Kotsur gets his Oscar back after it was stolen, Adele says postponing her Vegas residency was 'very brave,' and more

Today's top entertainment and celebrity news

Troy Kotsur
(Image credit: Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

1. Troy Kotsur gets his Oscar back after his car was stolen

Dude, where's my Oscar? CODA star Troy Kotsur's car was stolen in Arizona on Saturday — and his Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor was inside. Luckily, authorities in Mesa were able to quickly find the vehicle and recover the Oscar, and Kotsur tweeted a photo of himself with the cops, one of whom is holding up the statue. Mesa PD confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Kotsur's car was found with two juvenile male suspects inside, who "admitted to the theft and were charged with theft of means of transportation." Police also confirmed the car, and the property inside, were returned to the actor. Why Kotsur's Academy Award was just sitting there in his Jeep like an old Slurpee cup nearly five months after the Oscars ceremony wasn't clear, though he was in Mesa to be honored with the key to his hometown. On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know what Kodi Smit-McPhee was up to this weekend?

The Hollywood Reporter NBC News

2. Adele says postponing her Vegas residency 'was a very brave thing to do'

Go easy on me over that whole Vegas drama, a "very proud" Adele says. The "Hello" singer is patting herself on the back over the controversial decision to indefinitely postpone her Las Vegas residency earlier this year with just one day's notice. "I was embarrassed," she says in a new Elle profile. "But it actually made my confidence in myself grow, because it was a very brave thing to do. And I don't think many people would have done what I did." Adele received a fair amount of backlash for the decision, considering some fans had already traveled to Vegas, and the rescheduled dates weren't announced for six months. Amid the controversy, she tells Elle she stopped promoting her new album 30 so it wouldn't seem like she didn't care, and she even has a music video in the can that was never released. But she still doesn't regret calling off the shows, proclaiming, "I'm very proud of myself for standing by my artistic needs."

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

Elle

3. Tom Holland takes a break from social media for his mental health

With great fame comes a great desire to log off. Spider-Man star Tom Holland has announced he's taking a social media break for his mental health. "I find Instagram and Twitter to be overstimulating, to be overwhelming," the 26-year-old actor said. "I get caught up and I spiral when I read things about me online, and ultimately, it's very detrimental to my mental state." Holland said this inspired him to "delete the app," though he briefly returned to Instagram to make this announcement and also spotlight Stem4, a charity that focuses on teenage mental health. "There is an awful stigma against mental health, and I know that asking for help and seeking help isn't something that we should be ashamed of, but it is something that is much easier said than done," he said. Good on you, Spidey — and as a bonus, keeping spoilers under wraps just became slightly easier for Marvel.

Entertainment Weekly

4. Johnny Depp is directing a movie that Al Pacino will produce

Johnny Depp is continuing his post-trial victory tour with plans to get behind the camera for the first time since the '90s. The Pirates of the Caribbean star is set to direct a movie called Modigliani, which revolves around Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani. Al Pacino is producing, and production will take place in Europe. This will be the first film Depp has directed since 1997's poorly reviewed The Brave, and it's the latest work he's lined up since the Amber Heard defamation trial after landing a new deal with Dior. Heard is still appealing Depp's win, having now hired new lawyers. Meanwhile, Mads Mikkelsen, who replaced Depp in the Fantastic Beasts films, is suggesting the actor could actually still return to that series despite being fired in 2020. "Now the course has changed — he won the suit, the court [case] — so let's see if he comes back," Mikkelsen said, per Deadline. "He might. I'm a big fan of Johnny."

The Hollywood Reporter

5. Bryce Dallas Howard was paid 'so much less' than Chris Pratt for 'Jurassic World' films

It's time to discuss sexism in survival situations — and in Hollywood. Bryce Dallas Howard spoke with Insider about not being paid as much for the Jurassic World films as her co-star Chris Pratt after a Variety report said she made $2 million less than him on the 2018 sequel. "The reports were so interesting because I was paid so much less than the reports even said, so much less," Howard said. She added that "it was a different world" when she negotiated her deal for the trilogy in 2014, at which point she was "at a great disadvantage." But Howard says she talked about this with Pratt and he pushed for them to receive equal pay from franchise extensions like video games and theme park rides. "I love him so much for doing that," Howard said. Might this revelation help Pratt's standing in the Chris Wars? Perhaps, though if he keeps blasting "woke" critics on Instagram, Evans and Hemsworth probably need not worry.

Insider

To continue reading this article...
Continue reading this article and get limited website access each month.
Get unlimited website access, exclusive newsletters plus much more.
Cancel or pause at any time.
Already a subscriber to The Week?
Not sure which email you used for your subscription? Contact us