Was the royal tour of Jamaica a ‘PR disaster’?
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s eight-day Caribbean trip was anything but a triumph
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
“The royal tour has been a staple of the British royal family playbook for as long as the mass-media age has existed,” said James Ball in the New Statesman. They’re usually a hit, but the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s recent eight-day tour of the Caribbean was anything but a triumph. It will be remembered for protests and calls for slavery reparations; for the Jamaican prime minister telling the royal couple that his country was “moving on” by dropping the Queen as head of state; and for some truly cringeworthy photos.
The worst of these showed William and Kate clasping the hands of Jamaican children corralled behind a chain-link fence. The images were innocent enough in origin: the royal couple had been attending a football match and were greeting spectators on their way out. But shorn of their context, the pictures – with their white-saviour connotations – looked “dire”.
Almost as excruciating, said Jan Moir in the Daily Mail, were the photos of William standing in the back of a Land Rover in full military regalia, his wife in a hat by his side. “Dear God, it couldn’t have been more colonial if he had worn a pith helmet and driven a tank through the streets of Kingston.” Royal aides complain that you can’t judge a tour on the basis of a few photo opportunities, but “what is a royal tour except a symbolic progression of photo opportunities and strategic meet’n’greets”? The mortifying PR disaster of this particular tour raises questions about the future of both the Commonwealth and the monarchy.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
You can’t blame the Cambridges, said Sean O’Grady on The Independent. They were “following the usual template” for royal tours. The template just doesn’t work any more. Even keen royalists like me “can sense – sadly – that people are tiring of this stuff”, said Clare Foges in The Times. To secure a long-term future for the monarchy after the death of the Queen, the Prince of Wales will need to “steal a march on his critics” by introducing some truly radical reforms.
It won’t be enough simply to slim down the monarchy; he also needs to axe the outdated etiquette and titles, vacate royal residences, consider repatriating royal spoils such as the Koh-i-Noor diamond and voluntarily stand down as head of state of the remaining Commonwealth realms. This needn’t mean a full Scandinavian-style “bicycling monarchy”. That would bore the British, who will always “desire occasional orgies of flag-waving and fairy-tale carriages”. But it’s clear that tinkering with the status quo will no longer suffice.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Switzerland could vote to cap its populationUnder the Radar Swiss People’s Party proposes referendum on radical anti-immigration measure to limit residents to 10 million
-
Political cartoons for February 15Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include political ventriloquism, Europe in the middle, and more
-
The broken water companies failing England and WalesExplainer With rising bills, deteriorating river health and a lack of investment, regulators face an uphill battle to stabilise the industry
-
Will Beatrice and Eugenie be dragged into the Epstein scandal?Talking Point The latest slew of embarrassing emails from Fergie to the notorious sex offender have put her daughters in a deeply uncomfortable position
-
Norway’s scandal-hit royalsIn the Spotlight Rape trial of Marius Borg Høiby, son of the crown princess, adds to royal family's ‘already considerable woes’
-
Prince Andrew: is the royal family doing enough?Today’s Big Question King Charles faces calls for tougher action against Andrew after latest allegations about Virginia Giuffre and Jeffrey Epstein
-
What will William be like as king?Today's Big Question Prince of Wales said he won’t be ‘restricted’ by history when he takes the throne
-
Sarah Ferguson: a reputation in tattersIn the Spotlight After emails surfaced revealing ties to Jeffrey Epstein, weeks after she claimed to cut contact, her charities are running for the hills
-
Prince charming: Harry’s tea with King sparks royal reconciliation rumoursTalking Point Are the royals – and the UK public – ready to welcome the Duke of Sussex back in?
-
King Charles and Prince Harry: peace in our time?Talking Point Leaked images of a secret meeting between royal aides suggest a dialogue is beginning to open up
-
King Charles and the Sovereign Grant: how UK taxpayers fund the monarchyThe Explainer Royals received £86.3m from government last year – and they are in line for a 50% increase