Republican House candidate Carl DeMaio on Wednesday denied allegations that he sexually harassed and then tried to bribe a former staffer.
The California politician called the accusation a "complete lie" and said police had already looked into and closed the case. Moreover, DeMaio said his accuser was a "prime suspect" in the burglarizing earlier this year of his campaign office.
"It's absolutely untrue and it's unfortunate that an individual who is the prime suspect in the break-in at our campaign office would manufacture such an outrageous lie," DeMaio said.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
DeMaio's accuser on Wednesday told Politico that his ex-boss "became increasingly aggressive in his sexual behavior" over the course of six months, and offered him $50,000 if he would sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.