Scotland is voting on independence in 3 weeks, and this debate may have tipped the scales

Scotland is voting on independence in 3 weeks, and this debate may have tipped the scales
(Image credit: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

On Sept. 18, voters in Scotland go to the polls to decide if they will secede from the United Kingdom and become an independent nation. Monday night was the second debate between pro-independence leader Alex Salmond, the first minister of Scotland, and former Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling, who heads a pro-unity party.

In their first debate, Salmond fell flat and flubbed some answers, but on Monday night he won handily, potentially reviving hopes for the pro-indepedence movement. In a snap poll from The Guardian/IMC, 71 percent of respondents named Salmond as winner of the second debate, while Darling got the other 29 percent. The "yes" on independence side has been trailing in the polls. Whether or not it moves those numbers, Salmond's spirited performance "will raise the hearts of Yes supporters," polling expert John Curtice, from Strathclyde University, said after the debate.

The pro-independence Yes Scotland was more optimistic still. "We know the momentum is with us in this campaign," the group's chief executive, Blair Jenkins, told BBC Radio Scotland on Tuesday morning. "I know the ground is shifting under the No campaign, they know it and, much more importantly, the people of Scotland know it."

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

Salmond won more on style points than substance. The rowdy debate focused a lot on what currency an independent Scotland would use — Salmond says Scotland would force its way into a currency union with Britain, a notion all three major UK parties reject — and if there's a Plan B (Salmond says yes, but won't quite spell out what it is). Other topics included social services spending and the state of the National Health Service. They are local issues, but the video below will give you a good sense of the tenor of the debate — plus a chance to listen to some fine Scottish accents. --Peter Weber

To continue reading this article...
Continue reading this article and get limited website access each month.
Get unlimited website access, exclusive newsletters plus much more.
Cancel or pause at any time.
Already a subscriber to The Week?
Not sure which email you used for your subscription? Contact us