Speed Reads

Only in America

Only in America: The car-crash tax

A cash-strapped suburb of Houston wants to charge motorists who get in accidents — and more in our collection of strange revelations about the nation

Drivers in a cash-strapped suburb of Houston will soon be charged a "crash tax" if they get into an accident. The new fee will range from $500 to $2,000, depending on the severity of the accident, and will be used to cover the cost of sending police, paramedics, and fire trucks to the scene. "Don't we pay them to do that already?" asked local motorist Meredith Johnson.