Marco Rubio reportedly trying to hold onto his delegates, despite dropping out of the race
Marco Rubio may no longer be in the Republican presidential race, but he's not ready to give up any of the 172 delegates he won.
MSNBC reports that the Florida senator has sent letters to state parties in 21 states and territories, asking that they not release any of the delegates he won while he was still in the race. Typically, when candidates suspend their campaign, as Rubio did earlier this month, their delegates can move on and support the candidate of their choice. Rubio aide Alex Burgos told MSNBC that Rubio "wants to give voters a chance to stop Trump" at the party convention.
Retired Army Col. Peter Goldberg, the chairman of the Alaska Republican Party, received a signed letter from Rubio, asking that the five delegates he won there "remain bound to vote for me" during the Republican National Convention in July. Rubio copied the Republican National Committee's chairman, and also reportedly sent the same letter (which had a typo, calling the United States the "Untied States") out to the other states and territories where he won delegates. "Rubio said, 'I want my delegates,' and I said, 'okay,'" Goldberg said.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
When presidential candidates say they are "suspending" their campaign, it's usually so they can keep operations up and running to take care of paperwork and bills. Goldberg is allowing Rubio to keep his delegates because Alaska's party rules say delegates can be taken from a candidate who "drops out," but says nothing about someone who "suspends" their campaign. Goldberg does admit that in the past "we've always taken 'suspend' to mean 'drop,'" but said RNC officials told him "most states are leaning toward giving [Rubio] his delegates."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Sudoku medium: November 29, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
