Seth Meyers says Trump's Twitter feuds are really just distractions
Seth Meyers isn't saying you shouldn't shake your head or laugh uncontrollably at Donald Trump's one-sided Twitter fight with a Broadway show, but he does want to make sure you know it's all a distraction from something much bigger.
On Monday's Late Night, Meyers recapped Vice President-elect Mike Pence being booed by audience members at a Hamilton performance last week, the show's cast urging Pence to "work on behalf of all of us," Trump's over-the-top reaction to it all ("Apologize!"), and Pence's calm and reasonable response ("this is what freedom sounds like"). Booing politicians is as American as apple pie or not electing the person who received the popular vote, Meyers said, and Trump is really just trying to deflect from something that will one day be featured in the Trump-based musical, "Scamilton."
On Friday, Trump's lawyers reached a deal to settle fraud cases against Trump University for $25 million. The lawsuits alleged that Trump U sales teams prodded students, even those who did not have much money, to sign up for more classes, and that they did not receive any of the useful tips and secrets they were promised. Meyers also touched on conflicts of interest stemming from Trump's businesses and his children being involved in both the family organization and their father's transition team, in addition to diplomats being pressured to stay at Trump's hotel in Washington, D.C. "A common criticism of the Clintons was how they enriched themselves financially after leaving office," Meyers said. "Well, Trump is proving once again he is the anti-Clinton by enriching himself before he takes office." Watch the video below. Catherine Garcia
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Political cartoons for November 29Cartoons Saturday's political cartoons include Kash Patel's travel perks, believing in Congress, and more
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
