Trump taps retired Marine Gen. James Mattis for secretary of defense


President-elect Donald Trump has chosen retired Marine Gen. James Mattis to be his secretary of defense, The Washington Post reported Thursday. Mattis is respected in the field and has a reputation for strong, aggressive thinking, and like Trump favors a more adversarial stance against potential enemies abroad.
In April, Mattis singled out Iran as being the "single most enduring threat to stability and peace in the Middle East," and said American influence in the region is the least it's been in 40 years. He led a key Marine raid in Afghanistan against the Taliban in 2001, and commanded a division of Marines during the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. “The president-elect is smart to think about putting someone as respected as Jim Mattis in this role,” a former senior Pentagon official told the Post. "For Mattis, the biggest risk for him personally is that he'll have a national security adviser in the form of Mike Flynn whose management style and extreme views may arch Mattis' eyebrows and cause conflict over time. It's no fun to be secretary of defense if you have to constantly feud with the White House."
Mattis retired in early 2013 after serving for more than four decades. Because he left active military service less than seven years ago, Congress will need to grant Mattis an exception to a federal law that requires defense secretaries be more than seven years removed from active duty.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
An official announcement could come as soon as next week. Representatives for both Trump and Mattis declined to comment to the Post.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Kimberly Alters is the news editor at TheWeek.com. She is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.
-
Scottish hospitality shines at these 7 hotels
The Week Recommends Sleep well at these lovely inns across Scotland
By Catherine Garcia, The Week US Published
-
Scientists invent a solid carbon-negative building material
Under the radar Building CO2 into the buildings
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Crossword: April 1, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published