Trump defends Rob Porter after abuse allegations: 'He says he's innocent'


On Friday, President Trump defended Rob Porter, the former White House staff secretary accused of physical and verbal abuse by two ex-wives. Porter resigned Wednesday after the Daily Mail and The Intercept detailed the allegations against him, complete with graphic images.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump noted that Porter "says he's innocent" and insisted, "I think you have to remember that." The president additionally called the accusations "very sad" and said that "it's a tough time" for Porter.
Still, Trump predicted that Porter "will have a great career ahead of him" and said that he'd done "a very good job" in the White House. "We absolutely wish him well," Trump said.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Observers like CNN's Dana Bash later noted that Trump completely ignored Porter's victims in his remarks. Before Porter's resignation, White House Chief of Staff John Kelly put out a statement calling Porter "a man of true integrity and honor." Kelly has reportedly known about the allegations for several months, and the controversy over Porter's resignation has reportedly directed Trump's ire at Kelly — to the point where Trump is reportedly considering replacing his chief of staff.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Kelly O'Meara Morales is a staff writer at The Week. He graduated from Sarah Lawrence College and studied Middle Eastern history and nonfiction writing amongst other esoteric subjects. When not compulsively checking Twitter, he writes and records music, subsists on tacos, and watches basketball.
-
August 28 editorial cartoons
Cartoons Thursday’s political cartoons include Taylor Swift's wedding bells, Donald Trump's objections to mail-in voting, and thoughts and prayers
-
How Israel's 'Legitimisation Cell' is justifying journalist killings in Gaza
The Explainer Evidence suggests a secret intelligence unit is portraying Palestinian journalists as Hamas operatives
-
Why the world is going mad about Taylor Swift's wedding
The pop star unveiled diamond ring in cosy snaps with fiancé Travis Kelce earlier this week
-
DOGE put Social Security data at risk, official says
Speed Read DOGE workers made the personal information of hundreds of millions of Americans vulnerable to identity theft
-
Court rejects Trump suit against Maryland US judges
Speed Read Judge Thomas Cullen, a Trump appointee, said the executive branch had no authority to sue the judges
-
Trump expands National Guard role in policing
Speed Read The president wants the Guard to take on a larger role in domestic law enforcement
-
Trump says he's firing Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook
Speed Read The move is likely part of Trump's push to get the central bank to cut interest rates
-
Abrego released from jail, faces Uganda deportation
Speed Read The wrongly deported Kilmar Abrego García is expected to be detained at an ICE check-in and deported to Uganda
-
Trump arms National Guard in DC, threatens other cities
speed read His next targets are Chicago, New York and Baltimore
-
Judge: Trump's US attorney in NJ serving unlawfully
Speed Read The appointment of Trump's former personal defense lawyer, Alina Habba, as acting US attorney in New Jersey was ruled 'unlawful'
-
Third judge rejects DOJ's Epstein records request
Speed Read Judge Richard Berman was the third and final federal judge to reject DOJ petitions to unseal Epstein-related grand jury material