Poll: Most voters believe the New York Times op-ed is true
Most American voters believe the allegations made in last week's bombshell New York Times op-ed are true — but think that the writer who asserted them was wrong to do so, a new Quinnipiac poll has found.
In the poll released Monday, 55 percent of voters said they believe that President Trump's senior advisers are working to stop him from making what they deem to be bad decisions, as alleged in the Times article. A total of 82 percent of Democrats believe the allegations, while 52 percent of independents also believe them. But not everyone is convinced: Fifty-two percent of Republicans said they think the allegations are false, Quinnipiac found. Another 27 percent of Republicans believe the article, while 22 percent aren't sure.
Trump had previously floated the idea on Twitter that the Times' source may not really exist, while the White House has also demanded that the Times turn over its source, whom they call a "gutless loser." The Times said it knows the author's identity but withheld it to protect their position within the Trump administration.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The good news for the White House, though, is that most voters aren't exactly on the anonymous author's side. In the poll, 51 percent of voters said the writer did the wrong thing by publishing their allegations anonymously, while only 39 percent said the author did the right thing. Among Republicans, 86 percent disapprove of the writer's actions, while 65 percent of Democrats approve. Fifty-three percent of independents felt that publishing the piece anonymously was the wrong thing to do.
The Quinnipiac poll was conducted from Sept. 6-9 and reached 1,038 registered voters over the phone. The margin of error is +/- 3.7 percentage points. See the full results here.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Crossword: November 30, 2025The daily crossword from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
