Trump backs down from national emergency threat — sort of
President Trump on Friday began to slightly ease off his threat to declare a national emergency to fund his proposed border wall — well, kind of.
After saying Thursday he is "probably" going to declare a national emergency in order to fund the wall without Congressional approval, Trump said Friday that this is not what he's "looking to do right now," adding that he won't take this route "so fast," The Washington Post reports. He said this would be the "easy way out" but that he wants "Congress to do this," urging the House and the Senate to come back and vote on a bill. So far, the House has passed bills to reopen the government, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said he won't allow a Senate vote on any bill Trump wouldn't approve.
Still, Trump was hardly ruling out this move, as he still declared that should Congress not reach a deal, "I may declare a national emergency." When might this happen? It's anyone guess, as Trump only said he'd do it if Congress can't reach a deal "at some point."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Trump additionally predicted that should he take this step, "I'll be sued," with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals probably ruling against him but the Supreme Court "hopefully" ruling in his favor. The government shutdown, sparked by conflict over funding for the wall, is poised to become the longest in history on Jan. 12, and with Trump apparently not declaring a national emergency in the immediate future, and with members of Congress going home for the weekend absolutely nowhere close to a deal, there's still no end in sight. Watch Trump's comments below. Brendan Morrow
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Political cartoons for November 27Cartoons Thursday's political cartoons include giving thanks, speaking American, and more
-
We Did OK, Kid: Anthony Hopkins’ candid memoir is a ‘page-turner’The Week Recommends The 87-year-old recounts his journey from ‘hopeless’ student to Oscar-winning actor
-
The Mushroom Tapes: a compelling deep dive into the trial that gripped AustraliaThe Week Recommends Acclaimed authors team up for a ‘sensitive and insightful’ examination of what led a seemingly ordinary woman to poison four people
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
