Hillary Clinton reportedly wasn't trying to 'close the door' on running with her 2020 comments
Speculation over a possible third presidential run from Hillary Clinton might not be dead after all.
The former secretary of state said in a Monday interview that she is "not running" for president in 2020, which seemed to put any rumors about another White House bid to rest once and for all. But The New York Times' Maggie Haberman now reports that Clinton actually "wasn't trying to be emphatic and close the door on running" and "was surprised by how definitively it played."
This is according to a source "close with Clinton," who told Haberman it's still "extremely unlikely" that Clinton will run again. But Clinton is reportedly "bothered" that people expect her to definitively rule out another bid and that she's "waiting at least to see the Mueller report" before she does so.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
News of Clinton's Monday comments drew widespread attention and even led President Trump to tweet that she will be "sorely missed," with Clinton responding with a quote from Mean Girls: "Why are you so obsessed with me?"
While Clinton has made similar statements in the past, some of her allies in recent months have floated the idea that she'll run again, and the Times reported last month that she "has given the impression that she harbors a faint hope she could still become president one day" and that "in private conversations, she occasionally muses about an opening." Her saying "I'm not running" sure made it sound like that's not the case, but The Washington Post's Aaron Blake notes that statements like that are "often in the present tense for a reason."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Political cartoons for November 29Cartoons Saturday's political cartoons include Kash Patel's travel perks, believing in Congress, and more
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
