New women accusing Biden of inappropriate conduct say his video statement wasn't enough


Three more women have said that former Vice President Joe Biden made them feel uncomfortable with unwanted physical contact, and they say they're not satisfied with his new video statement.
Vail Kohnert-Yount, Sofie Karasek, and Ally Coll shared their claims against Biden with The Washington Post on Wednesday. Kohnert-Yount said she felt uncomfortable when Biden touched the back of her head and put his forehead against hers while calling her a "pretty girl." Karasek recalled a similar experience while speaking with Biden at the 2016 Oscars, saying he grabbed her hand and came within inches of her face. Coll said Biden squeezed her shoulders and held her "for a beat too long."
Seven women have now said Biden's physical contact made them uncomfortable, although none have accused him of sexual harassment or assault. Biden said in a video statement on Wednesday that he will "adjust" his behavior in light of changing "social norms."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
But the three women The Washington Post spoke to expressed dissatisfaction with this video, with Kohnert-Yount saying that while "I appreciate" Biden's "attempt to do better," the situation is "not mainly about whether Joe Biden has adequate respect for personal space" but is about "women deserving equal respect in the workplace." Karasek said Biden "still didn't take ownership in the way that he needs to" with the video, while Coll said his video showed "a continued lack of understanding about why these stories are being told and their relevance in the #MeToo era."
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Bombs or talks: What’s next in the US-Iran showdown?
Talking Points US gives Tehran a two month deadline to deal
By Joel Mathis, The Week US Published
-
Inside the contested birth years of generations
The Explainer Battles over where Gen Z ends and Gens Alpha and Beta begin remain unsettled
By David Faris Published
-
Art review: Jack Whitten: The Messenger
Feature Museum of Modern Art, New York City, through Aug. 2
By The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published