Biden says he 'wouldn't be surprised' if more women accuse him of inappropriate contact


Former Vice President Joe Biden on Friday said he regrets making women uncomfortable and suggested it's possible more will come forward.
Biden spoke with reporters after delivering a speech in which he joked twice about having obtained permission to hug someone. This was his first time speaking publicly since eight women came forward to say Biden made them feel uncomfortable with unwanted physical contact. Asked if he expects more women to share similar complaints, Biden said, "Well, I wouldn't be surprised," per Talking Points Memo, while saying that "I've had hundreds and hundreds of people contact me who I don't know and say the exact opposite."
Biden said that anyone who feels uncomfortable by physical contact in general should have the right to say so. But when asked whether he would offer a direct apology to the women who have come forward, Biden said, "I've made it clear that if I made anyone feel uncomfortable, I feel badly about that. That was never my intention."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A reporter followed up to ask Biden if this means he is sorry and will tell the women as much, but he did not offer a direct apology, instead saying, "I'm sorry I didn't understand more" but "I'm not sorry for any of my intentions." He also said that "I'm not sorry for anything that I have ever done" because "I have never been disrespectful intentionally to a man or a woman." Brendan Morrow
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Art review: Jack Whitten: The Messenger
Feature Museum of Modern Art, New York City, through Aug. 2
By The Week US Published
-
Torpedo bats could revolutionize baseball and players are taking notice
In the Spotlight The new bats have been used by the New York Yankees with tremendous success
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
'People first. Then money. Then things'
Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Sen. Booker's 25-hour speech beats Thurmond
Speed Read He spoke for the longest time in recorded Senate history, protesting the Trump administration's policies
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Bondi seeks death penalty for Luigi Mangione
Speed Read Mangione was charged with fatally shooting UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson last year
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Democrats win costly Wisconsin court seat
Speed Read Democrats prevailed in an election for the Wisconsin Supreme Court despite Elon Musk's robust financial support of the Republican candidate
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published