DOJ questions Democrats 'purported need' for redacted Mueller report material
The Justice Department says it's "disappointed" that House Democrats are preparing to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt.
After Barr did not turn over the unredacted version of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report by Monday morning, the deadline House Democrats had set, House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said there is "no choice but to initiate contempt proceedings." Democrats, who are also seeking the Mueller report's underlying evidence, plan to hold a contempt vote on Wednesday.
Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote to Nadler in response on Monday that the DOJ is "disappointed" in the committee's decision to move forward with a contempt vote, criticizing Democrats' "rush to issue a subpoena" after Barr took "the extraordinary step" of releasing the Mueller report, Talking Points Memo reports. A redacted version of the report was released last month, with a less-redacted version being available for a select group of lawmakers to see. However, Democrats want the unredacted report, and they want it to be made available not just to a small group.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Boyd criticized members of the Judiciary Committee for having "yet to take advantage" of the DOJ's offer to see the less-redacted version of the report, saying this "naturally raises questions about the sincerity of the committee's interest in and purported need for the redacted material," and also "hinders our ability to engage in a meaningful discussion."
The Justice Department's letter concludes by inviting Nadler and his staff later this week to negotiate "an accommodation that meets the legitimate interests of each of our coequal branches of government." Boyd offers Nadler the opportunity to negotiate on Wednesday afternoon, the same day the Judiciary Committee had planned to hold its contempt vote.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
What does the fall in net migration mean for the UK?Today’s Big Question With Labour and the Tories trying to ‘claim credit’ for lower figures, the ‘underlying picture is far less clear-cut’
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
