Trump keeps floating new troop reduction numbers on Fox News


President Trump isn't committing to a full withdrawal from Afghanistan anytime soon.
In a Thursday interview with Fox News' Brian Kilmeade, Trump said the U.S. is reducing its troops in Afghanistan "down to 8,600," but guaranteed the U.S. is "always going to have a presence" in the country. It comes as the U.S. and the Taliban reportedly near a deal to remove up to 6,000 American troops — though America never promised a full withdrawal from the country.
On Wednesday, the Taliban announced it was close to reaching an agreement mandating "U.S. forces withdraw from Afghanistan in exchange for a pledge that the country would not become a haven for other Islamist militant groups," Reuters writes. But Trump isn't committing to a full withdrawal because, as he put it to Kilmeade, "it's an amazing area for terrorism." Trump also said that if the Taliban broke the terms of that deal, U.S. forces would return "like never before."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
As CNN's Kaitlan Collins pointed out, Thursday's remarks contrast from how Trump told Fox News' Tucker Carlson in July about there were "about 9,000" troops left in Afghanistan. Trump upped that number to "probably 13,000" in mid-August, but also said he hoped to send most of those troops home before the 2020 election. Like his Thursday comments, Trump did say at that time that a "very significant" intelligence presence would remain in Afghanistan.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Kathryn is a graduate of Syracuse University, with degrees in magazine journalism and information technology, along with hours to earn another degree after working at SU's independent paper The Daily Orange. She's currently recovering from a horse addiction while living in New York City, and likes to share her extremely dry sense of humor on Twitter.
-
WHCA rejects White House press seating grab
Speed Read The White House Correspondents' Association objected to the Trump administration's bid to control where journalists sit during press briefings
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sends more migrants to El Salvador jail
Speed Read Another 17 Venezuelan alleged gang members have been deported to a notorious prison
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published