For all the grief Jon Stewart gives conservatives on The Daily Show, there are some nights he hands them a must-watch gift. Stewart isn't impressed with the Benghazi investigation, and said so on Thursday (and repeated Monday — watch below), but the IRS's targeted scrutiny of Tea Party and other conservative groups is a different matter.
On Monday, Stewart tore into the IRS, especially the apparent belief of Lois Lerner, the head of the division that oversees tax-exempt organizations, that an apology was enough for singling out Tea Party groups.
Jon Stewart on the IRS response to inappropriate inquiries:"I didn't realize apologies were sufficient in IRS-related issues."— Daniel Drezner (@dandrezner) May 14, 2013
After fileting the tax collectors, Stewart turned to Obama, saying his administration's lack of "managerial competence" has just handed a load of powerful ammunition to his conservative critics and especially the "tinfoil behatted" contingent. "Congratulations, President Barack Obama — conspiracy theorists who generally can survive in anaerobic environments have just had an algae bloom dropped on their f---ing heads, thus removing the last arrow in your pro-governance quiver: Skepticism about your opponents."
See, this is why conservatives who criticize The Daily Show just don't get it That was 10 minutes of pure genius,— Doug Mataconis (@dmataconis) May 14, 2013
There's a role in politics for the Court Jester (i.e., Stewart and Colbert), the problem for the right is they don't have anyone who's funny— Doug Mataconis (@dmataconis) May 14, 2013
Here's Stewart's setup to the IRS scandal segment, focused on Fox News' Bill O'Reilly:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why you're probably drinking your beer all wrong
Subscribe to the Week